“Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit; for it had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid their hands on them and received the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 8:14-17)
We are so honored and blessed that you would choose to be a part of the Church of the Holy Family / St. Mark the Evangelist for your Confirmation preparation!
We are asking you to carefully read this document and make sure you are “all in” on it before proceeding with sign up. When you are finished reading it, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Dcn. Dan Medich (email@example.com) or Dcn. Ron Kenney (firstname.lastname@example.org). We’re happy to help.
It seems clear to us that Confirmation is in danger of becoming a cultural ritual: a hoop we need to jump through that, when complete, ends our life in the Church until we need/want a wedding. We see within this preparation process an opportunity to help young people find and live meaning in their lives, beyond the hollow pursuits of our world. We have attempted to create a program that will help do that, so let’s take a look at it.
To help those who are to be confirmed (the formal word is confimandi!) deepen their personal relationship with God; develop their sense of belonging in a living Christian community and personally ratify their membership in the Catholic Church. It is assumed that the process of confirming the faith has been ongoing in their lives and that it will continue to be renewed long after their Confirmation. This commitment involves three aspects of their faith: the Individual, Jesus Christ and the Church.
Parents or guardians of those to be confirmed are requested to:
- Attend Parent meetings and be familiar with the materials and process.
- Attend Sunday Liturgy weekly as a family and live out their commitment to the Catholic faith.
- Volunteer as needed.
- Ensure you submit your child’s Baptism Certificate to your Parish Office by November 2023.
It is extremely important that those who seek the Sacrament of Confirmation Participation give their all to this process. Parents, sponsors and team members are trained and ready to guide them through this journey.
You can give your all by the following:
- If you are a Religious Education Student of St Mark, you’ll need to attend and participate in all Confirmation Mini Sessions, Confirmation Retreat and Sunday Night Youth Group as scheduled.
- If you are a Religious Education Student at Holy Family, you need to Attend and participate in all Confirmation Mini Sessions, Confirmation Retreat and Sunday Religious Education classes as scheduled.
- If you are a student at Holy Family Catholic school, you’ll add to the preparation you are already receiving in daily instruction with the Retreat and the Confirmandi/Sponsor Mini Session.
No matter which school or religious education program, you’ll need to:
- Complete 10 hours of service. All service hours must be completed, recorded, and submitted on time in the link found below.
- Participate in parish activities that involve helping others in need.
- Attend Liturgy every Sunday
Choose your Sponsor
In choosing a sponsor it is important not to choose a person based on anything other than the way they live their Catholic faith. To put it bluntly, this is not a time to honor someone you like, but an opportunity to name whom you wish to emulate in the way they live and strive to become a saint.
The person you choose to serve as sponsor needs to be at least 16 years old, someone other than your parent, a Catholic who has been Confirmed, regularly attends Mass and is knowledgeable of the faith.
Choose your Saint
From the earliest days of God revealing Himself to us, the Bible reveals that when someone receives a special mission from God, their name changes. For example, Jacob became Israel, Simon became Peter, Saul became Paul. This was a custom of the day and one we carry over into confirmation.
The person receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation chooses a Saint name for their inspiration and as a sign of what they believe God is calling them to in their mission.
If you’d like some help in the selection process, here are a couple of websites we enjoyed:
Our Parishes have many organized opportunities to serve others, and we encourage confirmandi to develop ideas of their own. Each confirmandi is responsible for completing 10 hours of service. Keep track of service hours performed and submit them on the link found below.
Suggested activities you could do to fulfill your service hour’s commitment.
- Baby-sitting children who are not siblings (unpaid)
- Completing tasks for pay or hosting fund-raisers and donating the money to a worthy cause
- Raking leaves, shoveling snow or any other chores for the elderly or infirmed (unpaid)
- Pairs of confirmandi can visit nursing homes. Sit and chat with them.
- Tutor a student (unpaid)
- Help serve at parish functions (Parish Clean up, Parish Life Dinners, etc. unpaid)
*Serving at Mass is not considered service hours.
- Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen.
$90.00/student (Includes Confirmation Retreat at Our Lady of the Fields, Brighton, MI)
Do not let this be an issue. If this cost is something you are not able to do at this time, simply let us know so we can assist you.
2023-2024 Confirmation Mini Sessions
Wednesday, October 4* PARENT/ CHILD MEETING at Holy Family
The evening will begin with Mass at 6 pm with the meeting immediately following (approx. 6:30 pm) with an introduction and presentation with Fr. Joe.
Sunday, October 22 2 – 4pm at Holy Family
Sunday, November 12 2 – 4pm at St. Mark
Sunday, December 10 2 – 4pm at Holy Family
Saturday – Sunday, January 6-7* Retreat at Our Lady of the Fields, Brighton, MI
Sunday, January 28 2 – 4pm (Parents/Candidate) at St. Mark
Sunday, February 25* 2 – 4pm (Sponsors/Candidate) at Holy Family
Sunday, March 10* 2pm Practice at Holy Family
Wednesday, March 20* 6pm Confirmation Liturgy at Holy Family
*HFS Students included in session